Tuesday, May 26, 2009

#007 - Land of the Free, Home of the Straight

I'm not gay (insert your "Really? Are you sure?" joke here) but I can't for the life of me understand why so many people have this alarming hate towards gay people. I mean, yeah, I don't think I'd really want to share a bed with a gay dude, but walk down the street with him? Sit next to him on a bus? Vote in favor of his right to be happy? Any of these things would do.

The California State Supreme Court upheld the ban on same-sex marriage. You already know this. But why? I mean, really, why? I kind of want to have a discourse on this matter, and while I'm sure there are plenty of websites out there that explain the conservative reasoning on it, I just don't feel like searching for them right now. But it kind of boggles my mind.

A) Isn't California supposed to be liberal? What's going on out there? Republican Governator, no gay marriage... I think the state is starting to feel some of the backlash from the art set's decision to spurn the sunshine for the Big Apple. And while the Supreme Court's decision is saddening, you can't really fault them for upholding a decision that the residents already voted on.

B) How much can gay people getting married have an impact on the daily lives of our citizens? Seriously. I live in a city, I'm fresh out of college, I like to act, you would think of all people, I'd be in the prime demographic for interaction with homosexuals. And the reality is, it almost never happens. I'm sure I talk to some gay people, probably unknowingly, but really their lives don't affect my life one bit. Why the hell would I want to go out of my way to affect THEIR lives?

C) How's murder doing? Drug abuse? Have we cut down on those things? How's the economy? I guess since everything else in the country is going so well, we should focus our collective energies on taking away some people's marriage privileges. With all of the negative shit going on in our country, why is it the only thing that's getting banned is marriage? I mean really? You can purchase and carry a handgun whereever the hell you want, including a national park (thank you log rolling), but instead of revoking someone's ability to fire metal projectiles into the body cavities of others, we're revoking someone's ability to profess their love for a person they care deeply about. That's right, that makes perfect sense.

(You totally thought I was going to go with some sort of lewd innuendo after that metal projectile line, didn't you? Get your mind out of the gutter.)

Seriously though. I just throw my arms up. I mean, really people, is this what you want to go down in history as? Generation XY-XX NO SUBSTITUTES. I don't like ranting, I feel this has become a rant, and honestly I'd like to reel it back a little bit. There are people out there who don't like gay people. There are tons of them. But could you imagine what it would be like if there were votes to take away certain privileges from straight people? (I keep wanting to say "rights" but apparently it's been made clear marriage is a privilege, not a right) It would seem ludicrous right? You can't do something just because you're straight? UNBELIEVABLE! My roommate Jon made a great point last night. He proposed the thought that white male college graduates couldn't marry, and how livid he would be if that happened. What's the difference with same-sex couples? Guess what, they're people too. In fact, if you didn't KNOW someone was gay, you wouldn't know they're any different than you are. They just happen to want to spend their time with someone of their same gender.

And with the current state of the marriage institution in this country, let's face it, they might be on to something.

No comments:

Post a Comment